Any unregistered property purchased in the state after 1 June 2011 is subject to compulsory first registration.
Registration is compulsory in the following cases:
- Land bought under the Land Purchase Acts.
- Land acquired after 1st January 1967 by a statutory authority.
- Land sold in Counties Carlow, Meath. Laois from 1 January 1970.
- Land sold in Counties Westmeath, Longford and Roscommon from 1 April 2006.
- From 1st October 2008, compulsory registration is extended to six additional counties, Clare, Kilkenny, Louth, Sligo, Wexford and Wicklow. See Statutory Instrument 81 of 2008.
- With effect from 1 January 2010, compulsory registration is extended to the following additional counties; Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Leitrim, Limerick, Mayo, Monaghan, North Tipperary, Offaly, South Tipperary and Waterford and cities Galway, Limerick and Waterford [as defined in Section 10 of the Local Government Act 2001] See Statutory Instrument 176 of 2009.
- From 1 June 2011, compulsory registration is extended to the cities and counties of Cork and Dublin. See Statutory Instrument 516 of 2010.
← When is it compulsory to register property?